Friday, September 19, 2014

JavaScript

Lately I have been giving more thought to getting a good knowledge base on JavaScript. I know regardless of what job I may have in the future, I'm still going to need to know it and I would like to be proficient with it. I do think being able to handle front end development is important and will most likely be a valuable asset for any development team. I also would really enjoy getting a tech job so I will be closer to where I need to be career wise and still keep studying. I am so sick of driving a truck and that gives me so much motivation it's kinda funny.

With that being said as of 4am this morning I have started reading A Smarter Way to Learn JavaScript by Mark Myers. It is a great book with a bunch of exercises to do. I hope to make a huge dent in it this weekend. I will also be reading Head First JavaScript Programming by Eric Freeman and Elisabeth Robson. This is also a great JavaScript book that I think should get me pretty far. After I have these two books finished I will move onto Learning Web App Development by Semmy Purewal. I am excited for this book because I will get my feet wet with some node. I think so far that this will be a good start. I'd really like to get more into node so I can work with rails or node depending on what kind of project I'm going to be working on. 

So far I still really love the Ruby language but JavaScript isn't too bad. I do think knowing some Ruby before js has helped a lot in understanding programming. I remember at first looking at Ruby code and having no idea what was going on or what I was really doing. Now things are starting to come easier. 

On Tuesday this week I went down to Boulder for the Ruby meetup at Pivitol labs. The meetup was great and there were two really informative presentations. I always love going to the Boulder meetup just because there are so many great people there! Next week on the 25th I will be going to the Colorado Springs JavaScript meetup. It will be nice to go to a meetup here in town for a change. As much as I do love the boulder meetup I dread the drive. Two hours of driving from the Springs to Boulder through rush hour traffic followed by the drive home through road construction after working all day and getting up at 4am to study just makes for a horribly long day. Anyways I would say it was a great week and I accomplished a lot so I'm pretty happy with my current progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment