Sunday, September 28, 2014

Moving right along

So far I am almost done with A Smarter Way to Learn JavaScript. It is going well and I have about 100 more pages to go. I really am glad I chose this way to start with my journey into JavaScript. I know many people learn frameworks like jQuery first before really knowing JavaScript so I think this will really help down the road.

I know when I first set off to learn how to code I thought that I would just become a ruby on rails developer and that would be that. After really digging in and seeing what learning to code and being a web developer was all about, I realized that it isn't about being a this or that type of web developer but just being a web developer in general. You need to see what technologies are working for what applications. You need to plan your app before you even choose a framework to use. Why start a project and get half way into it just to realize that a completely different framework should be what is used? I find it for this reason that I need to really know the basics like HTML and CSS which I feel fairly comfortable with and of course JavaScript. I also need to be adaptable though so I can build off the foundation I have and get an understanding of how different frameworks work. I don't want to get too ahead of myself but I do think knowing express, node and angular would be great tools in the bag. Understanding mongoDB fairly well would be highly beneficial. Then of course you have ruby on rails as well. I already know that GO is an emerging language to watch out for so staying current with what tech is coming out and knowing how it works and differs from what is being used currently, will keep you from eventually putting yourself out of a job. I know some stuff will come and go quick as everything's constantly being improved upon but it's good just to stay current.

No comments:

Post a Comment